Share/Save/Bookmark Subscribe

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tech Tuesday: Nokia Cares

I've actually lost count of how many weeks it's been since I promised reviews of my new 'toy' (I think it was 3). The good news is, I can finally start fiddling with it to start blogging. It's a new Nokia N96, which I managed to wrangle from a certain 'smart mofo with tats' who is involved with the device's marketing locally. So let's consider this my 'full disclosure' clause, I have the phone for the purposes of marketing it-of course the fact that I needed an upgrade anyway with my N95's backlight giving in meant the timing was perfect. I did make 100% sure that I'm not 'censored' in any way, so they obviously have a bit of faith in the product.
The reason for the delay in actually getting to it (and here's where I'm sure Nokia wishes there had been some kind of censorship) is that the first thing I did with the phone -hook it up to a PC and update it to the newest firmware- bricked it. Luckily there's a Nokia Care Centre across the road from our offices, so dropping it off there to get sorted out was no problem, unfortunately it did take almost three weeks for the handset to work it's way up the Nokia Care food chain to someone that realized it was completely fried and issued a replacement handset. I got that replacement today. I can't say the Nokia Care experience was at all pleasant, with the care center only starting to keep me in the loop when I payed them another visit and politely kakked them out for lousy customer service.
One positive aspect is that I discovered Nokia Care points recycle mobile phones, and I mean any kind-not just Nokias. So next time you're looking at that tangled mess of old chargers and broken phones in your desk drawer, throw it all in a bag and drop it off at your nearest Nokia Care center.

I wish I could pass on some gem of wisdom about being careful when updating firmware, but the truth is I did absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. I connected a brand new, fully charged phone with minimal settings adjustments to my PC via USB and accepted the update prompt when Nokia’s PC suite informed me new software was available. I shudder to think how many people’s phones may have been bricked this way.

Next week I’ll finally have a real article on the phone, probably focusing on first impressions and ergonomics. See you then :)

2 comments:

jasweb said...

Nokia Firmware Updates have always worked for me (mostly via 3G as well).

I have a N95(8GB) and have upgraded 4 times during the past 1.5 years I had the phone.

No issues what so ever. Perhaps I am just lucky and the next time it might brick ;)

Pity about mobile TV not being available (yet?) in SA. Seems ICASA has at long last released the regulations. Have tried DSTV Mobile as part of the test group for the past 3 years and it is REALLY Good (well it is crap on the SAGEM my TV, but excellent quality non the lest). Audio was also really good on the SAGEM. Would have loved to test it on a N96...

Flint said...

I've also done many firmware updates (and a debranding-sshhh, don't tell anyone ;) ) on my N95-1 with no problems. I suppose this was just bad luck. I must say I do like the new OTA firmware functionality on the N96, it keeps pretty much everything intact.

Yup, hopefully we'll see widespread DBVH soon, it'll be great for sports fans in particular.

 

Copyright 2007 All Right Reserved. shine-on design by Nurudin Jauhari. and Published on Free Templates

Afrigator