Share/Save/Bookmark Subscribe

Friday, May 19, 2006

Challenge progress, Sonic and the 360

Addiction progress
To recap, my targets for this week in beating my productivity-sapping internet addiction were:
-Check email when I arrive at work, 10am, lunch, 3pm and possibly before going home.
-Check RSS streams when I arrive and at lunch. Links may be immediately followed. Also read RSS while compiling/building, but don't follow links.
-Check forums when I arrive and at lunch, only post replies at lunch.
-Only IM at and after lunch.
-Only blog and Flickr at lunch Monday to Thursday, and after 4pm on Friday.
-Update podcasts when I arrive and at lunch. Watch short videos immediately, copy the rest to PSP and listen to/watch them at home.

For the most part, I have kept to these really well, the only slip-ups I've had were in not using any instant messaging in the mornings-and only because my Miranda is set to start up aytomatically and someone contacted me. I have now removed Miranda from my startup, so that's sorted. It's been tough, especially in the afternoons when I find focusing on my work most difficult, but it has been worth it. My productivity has absolutely surged, and I can already see those bad habits beginning to crack. The podcast restrictions have even helped to make my drive home more interesting, with at least a Slashdot review podcast to listen to, in place of the usual looped playlist highveld insists on!
My new targets (for next week) are:

-Check email when I arrive at work, lunch, 4pm and possibly before going home.
-Check RSS streams when I arrive and at lunchas well as while compiling/building. Links may only be followed at lunch, or after work.
-Only check forums and reply at lunch or after work. (I have found the "no replying" rule on forums really helps reduce the draw they have, which is great).
-Only IM at lunch and after 2PM.
-Only blog and Flickr at lunch Monday to Thursday, and after 4pm on Friday. During builds preparing posts in a text file is acceptable (I am adding this to my long term targets as well, it seems that RSS streams don't quite cover those super-long rebuilds).
-Update podcasts when I arrive and at lunch. Watch short videos immediately, copy the rest to PSP and listen to/watch them at home.

For interest sake, I found this website related to this problem. Isn't it ironic, looking for information on internet addiction on a website?







Speedy recovery
Back in the days when 16 bit consoles were king, and Sega had a aparticularly strong hold on the South African market due to a lack of official Nintendo support, Sonic was the overall videogame icon in this country. As much as any gamer in those days, I loved the sonic games. They were gorgeous for the time, and the speedy gameplay was exhilirating. Since then, the Sonic franchise seems to have taken something of a nosedive, with more recent incarnations being sluggish, having lousy controls, looking outdated or just having a link to the franchise that was tenuous at best. Well is would appear that Sega is finally getting it right again with the Sonic franchise. After watching the extended e3 trailer of Sonic the Hedgehog for the Xbox 360 I am really excited about this new title. With great next-gen looking graphics, gameplay that seems to return to the series' high-speed roots and a return of the blue speedster himself, this title looks set to sizzle. I'm certainly looking forward to it!

Xbox 360 fund
I was going to write a long commentary on the dust settling after E3, and how Nintendo seemed to coume out the overall winner-but it would just have been a rehash of what thousands of bloggers and journalists have already discussed, so I decided to rather report on my Xbox 360 fund. It's coming along nicely, I have about R1500 from selling off games and books, and I'll be getting another of my boxes of books this weekend that I'm sure will earn me another R500. Add to that the cash I expect to get from my guitar (eventually) and I should have a little over R3000 towards the machine. I'm more than willing to take the remaining R1500 or so for the machine and a game out of pocket, so as soon as that guitar is sold, I should be able to make my order.. Yaaaaay :)



MS SA Hiring for Xbox 360 campaign
And keeping with the Xbox 360, I saw two job ads on the Microsoft South Africa website yesterday that really made me wish (for the first time ever) that I had an MBA. The first is for the position of Marketing Manager - Entertainment & Devices, and the second for Head of Sales & Marketing -Entertainment & Devices. There is also a position for a Developer Evangelist.. now if only they had one for Xbox 360 evangelist, I would have my dream job!

1 comments:

Justin Paver said...

This is your alter-ego speaking...

Stop torturing yourself. Browse the web. You know you want to. Think how nice it will be... :)

 

Copyright 2007 All Right Reserved. shine-on design by Nurudin Jauhari. and Published on Free Templates

Afrigator